Assistants: Lisa Spyke, Kina Billips
John concentrates his practice on public sector law and also actively represents private clients in employment matters. His legal services for municipal clients include general counsel, zoning plans, economic development, ordinances and city laws, employment, litigation, and more. John serves as the City Attorney for the City of Muskegon, Roosevelt Part, North Muskegon, and Montague. He is also the Village Attorney for the Villages of Shelby and Rothbury.
John's notable accomplishments for his clients include:
- Advising a municipality in a cross-lake ferry project, including working on a portion of the debt structure and lease for port facilities
- Acting as local counsel on an expansion of a sewage treatment facility
- Advising municipalities and acting as chief negotiator on numerous collective bargaining agreements
- Acting as an advocate and panel member on interest arbitration matters
- Advising and representing municipalities in grievance arbitrations
- Advising and representing numerous private sector clients on employment matters, including age discrimination, sex discrimination, sexual harassment, race discrimination, wage and hour claims, and claims of veterans
- Serving as local counsel on various capital improvement projects with associated debt arrangements
In 1984, John joined Parmenter Law shortly after receiving his law degree. Before joining the firm, John served as a Fellow and Research Associate at the Citizens Research Council of Michigan from 1978 through 1983. In those positions, he provided research and analysis on a variety of public policy issues and assisted municipalities facing financial issues.
John’s favorite part of working with Parmenter Law is the fun and collaborative atmosphere. He believes that clients get the best possible outcome, because the firm's approach utilizes the right experience, knowledge, and expertise in every case, by drawing on the strengths of the individual attorneys.
John lives in Muskegon and is also a native of the city. He is proud to call West Michigan home.
- Civil Litigation
- Labor & Employment
- Public Sector (Government)
- University of Detroit, J.D., 1984
- Wayne State University, Masters in Public Administration, 1980
- Hope College, B.A., 1978
- American Bar Association
- Muskegon County Bar Association
- Michigan Association of Municipal Attorneys
- Michigan Municipal League Legal Defense Fund
- Selected to Thomson Reuters Super Lawyers in the area of State, Local & Municipal Law (2011-2017)
Bar & Court Admissions
- State Bar of Michigan, 1984
Community Activities & Boards
- School District of the City of Muskegon Heights
Receivership Transition Advisory Board
- HealthWest (formerly Muskegon County Community Mental Health)